Clare beat the Dubs very late on in this round four clash but the result meant a second league win and sets up a winner-take-all clash against Waterford on Sunday week.

Clare 0-20 Dublin 1-15: Allianz Hurling League Div 1A Round 4. By Michael O’Connor.

There were many talking points in this round four clash but the result sees Clare grab their second league win and set up a winner-take-all clash against Waterford on Sunday week. Poor play, over-carrying the ball in scoring positions, Ian Galvin’s bizarre withdrawal and allowing Dublin to dominate for long periods were some of the talking points after this game.

David Fitzgerald opened Clare’s account following sustained pressure in the 5th minute after Niall McMorrow put the visitors in front. David Reidy grabbed two in a row in the space of ninety seconds as the Banner opened up a 3-1 lead. Liam Rushe floated over a speculative effort before conceding a free that was sent over by Reidy in the 12th minute.

A Donal Burke free and Jamie Shanahan’s point had Clare ahead by 0-5 to 0-3 at the end of the opening quarter. Domhnall Fox set up Eamonn Dillon who made no mistake from 40 metres in the 17th minute as Dublin began to edge a few positions on the field. Disaster struck for Clare when Eoghan O’Donnell’s huge clearance first deceived Cian Dillon then Patrick Kelly allowing Ryan O’Dwyer to flick the ball to the net putting Clare two behind.

Podge Collins, Niall McMorrow and Fiontan McGibb swopped points as Clare were a goal behind and fortunate not to concede again after 22 minutes. Ian Galvin struck for a point but was replaced by Cathal McInerney as Dublin tallied up the wides. Donal Burke sent over a free after 30 minutes before Niall McMorrow and David Reidy swopped scores with the Dubs now looking the better side.

Cian Dillon denied Dublin a goal at the expense of a 65 that was sent over by Chris Bennett deep into injury time. Ryan O’Dwyer’s handpassed to Ben Quinn for the final score of the half. Clare were 1-10 to 0-8 in arrears but aided by a strong second half breeze.

Seadna Morey had the first score of the new half after a Cathal McInerney wide. David Fitzgerald won a free that was converted by David Reidy. The Éire Og man repeated the feat minutes later. Ben Quinn pointed from halfway in the 42nd minute. Seconds later Aron Shanagher’s shot was just wide of the post.

Chris Crummey ended sustained pressure on Clare’s defence with a lobbed point in the 44th minute before Eamonn Dillon restored Dublin’s five point lead as the Banner men looked to be on the back foot again. Jamie Shanahan settled nerves with a point from halfway before David Reidy edged his side within three points.

Reidy had another pointed free as Clare repeated Dublin’s first half habit of hitting wides into the Tesco goal. After four chances Cathal McInerney got on target and Clare were within a point of Dublin. The biggest cheer of the day was reserved for Seadna Morey’s equaliser with 13 minutes of normal time remaining.

Dublin had their first scoring attempt in ten minutes with a Chris Bennett point before Jason McCarthy hit the equaliser in the 61st minute. In an apparent admission of error, Ian Galvin returned to action for Podge Collins with seven minutes remaining. Reidy put Clare ahead with his eighth score only for Chris Bennett to equalise for Dublin as a draw loomed.

Then Seadna Morey set up Aaron Cunningham for a trademark point off his left from the sideline to put Clare in front once more entering injury time. David Fitzgerald set up Ian Galvin for a great effort so that Clare were two up entering the final minute of injury time which was how it remained at the final whistle.

CLARE: Patrick Kelly, David McInerney, Cian Dillon, Seadna Morey (0-2), Brendan Bugler, Conor Cleary, David Fitzgerald (0-1), Jamie Shanahan (0-2), David Reidy (0-8, 7f), Cathal Malone, Podge Collins (0-1), John Conlon, Ian Galvin (0-3), Peter Duggan, Aron Shanagher. Subs: Cathal McInerney (0-1) for Galvin, Jason McCarthy (0-1) for Shanahan, Aaron Cunningham (0-1) for Duggan, Ian Galvin for Collins.
DUBLIN: Conor Dooley, James Madden, Shane Barrett, Eoghan O’Donnell, Chris Crummey (0-1), Liam Rushe (0-1), Cian MacGabhann, Ben Quinn (0-2), Domhnall Fox, Fiontán McGibb (0-1), Niall McMorrow (0-3), Rian McBride, Eamon Dillon (0-2), Ryan O’Dwyer (1-0), Donal Burke (2f). Subs: Chris Bennett (2f, 65) for Burke, Caolan Conway for McBride, Ian O Sullivan for McGibb, Cian Boland for O Sullivan, Fionn Briain for Madden.
Referee; Alan Kelly (Galway).