Wolfe Tones junior B footballers were humbled when they crashed out of the Munster championship against a stronger Ballyhooly side on Sunday.

Munster Junior B Football Championship semi final

Ballyhooly (Cork) 3-09 – 0-02 Wolfe Tones.

The game was hosted by the Knockaderry club at their well appointed grounds in Co. Limerick, overnight rain had caused the pitch to be heavy and sticky. While conditions were the same for both teams, the fact that three Wolfe Tones players arrived straight from playing a soccer match probably did not help their team.

For the first ten minutes both sides were evenly matched, Ballyhooly opened the scoring after five minutes when Cathal O’Keeffe pointed from play after being set up by Mickey Whelan.

Kieran Kissane levelled for Wolfe Tones soon after with a point from a free awarded against Denis Kiely.

The Shannon side had a chance to go in front in the 9th minute when Josh Lindsay soloed the length of the field before his effort went wide of the post.

From that point on it was all Ballyhooly. By the 25th minute they led by three points with two frees converted by Kevin Kiely either side of Sean Linehan’s long range score.

A Kevin Kiely goal in the 26th minute after being set up by a great pass from Denis Kiely saw the point of no return for the Shannon side.

Ballyhooly finished the first half scoring after a silly foul was conceded by Wolfe Tones and Kevin Kiely slotted the ball over to give his side a 1-05 to 0-1 interval lead.

After the break the Cork men scored two quick goals to dispel any thoughts Wolfe Tones had of making a comeback. The first came straight from the throw-in with danger man Kevin Kiely finding the net after just 20 seconds of the new half.

When the ball came back into play it was seized on by Ballyhooly and found its way to Jake Mehigan who made no mistake slamming it past Shane Russell for their third goal.

Wolfe Tones were guilty of conceding possession too easily and too often, when they did manage to get forward they didn’t threaten the opposition at all.

Midway through the half Kieran Kissing saw his free deflected up onto the crossbar and then cleared. It was as close as Wolfe Tones came to beating Adrian O’Driscoll in the Ballyhooly goal.

With one minute remaining Kevin McCafferty doubled his side’s scores with a well taken point and the game ended with the Corkmen dominant on a 3-09 to 0-02 scoreline.